State of the Industry
The Folk Group is in contact with many sectors of the metal casting industry. It's important to us to know what is happening in the industry. Our reports on the State of the Industry are not the result of organized data research but are the compiled reports of what we hear directly from people in the metal casting industry. You are free to share the reports provided they are attributed to The Folk Group
End markets frequently have impact on varied segments of metal casting.
Major markets cross segment impacts include:
- Automotive - aluminum (both die casting and sand casting), smaller gray/ductile iron (primarily high volume automated molding) and zinc die casting.
- Class 8 Truck - smaller carbon steel castings and gray/ductile iron castings.
- Rail - primarily carbon steel but also iron castings.
- Valves & Fittings - these cross many metals including iron, carbon steel, alloy steeland brass/bronze.
- Agricultural Equipment - primarily iron but also some carbon steel and aluminum.
- Construction Equipment - primarily iron but also some carbon steel and aluminum.
- Aerospace - aluminum and investment casting.
Major metal segments normally covered include: gray/ductile iron, aluminum, zinc, and brass/bronze.
Offshore manufacturing has had a major impact on the North American metalcasting industry. This impact fluctuates depending on exchange rates, transportation costs and internal country dynamics.